24 Nov Don’t be a trash turkey! Seven tips for a sustainable Thanksgiving celebration
Posted at 12:02h in Beach Cleanups, Ocean Conservation, Plastic Free, Sea Turtles 0 Comments
As we give thanks this holiday season, follow these simple, eco-friendly tips for a sustainable Thanksgiving celebration!
- Buy locally and sustainably. Shop at your local farmer’s market and don’t forget your reusable shopping bags.
- Use reusable cookware, plates, cups, napkins and utensils. Remember to have plenty of reusable to-go ware for all of those leftovers!
- Avoid purchasing synthetic materials for decorations. Instead, use natural items such as pinecones, fall leaves or even items found on the beach, such as oyster shells and seed pods. Be sure to put natural items back where you found them after the festivities!
- Choose beverages in bulk. Avoid single-use plastic bottles and be mindful to recycle all metal and glass.
- Compost your food scraps instead of tossing them in the trash.
- Distribute leftovers and send them home with guests in reusable containers and bags (avoid plastic bags and wraps).
- Participate in a local cleanup. Plant a tree or simply spend some time outdoors to show your thanks to the ocean planet.
The post Don’t be a trash turkey! Seven tips for a sustainable Thanksgiving celebration appeared first on Loggerhead Marinelife Center.