14 Mar COVID-19 Update: LMC’s Campus
Loggerhead Marinelife Center Provides COVID-19 Update
To Our Valued Loggerhead Marinelife Center (LMC) Guest:
Thank you for your continued support of our Center! Your support helps us amplify and accelerate our mission. In light of COVID-19, we want to provide our Community with an update and information on LMC’s evolving operations given the fluid situation surrounding the outbreak. As of right now, LMC is taking the precautions and measures below, but will continue to provide updates as they occur through email, blog, website, and social media updates (Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter).
Increased Health Measures at LMC
LMC is acting in accord with local, State, and Federal requests by:
- Postponing large scale events (e.g. our March 14 Beach Cleanup)
- Increasing sanitation of our campus
- Practicing social distancing
- Asking guests, staff, and volunteers who display any signs of illness, no matter how minor they seem, to stay home and not enter our campus.
Programming Updates at LMC
Due to increased public safety measures in South Florida and Palm Beach County, LMC plans to follow suit by postponing large events and cancelling certain programs. LMC is taking a number of additional measures to increase our safety efforts:
- We are temporarily suspending certain public programs as a safety precaution. Program cancellations for the weekend of March 14 to March 15 will take place immediately (3/13) and will be reflected in our eNews, event calendar, website, and social media. LMC has temporarily suspended indoor programming and programming utilizing tactile models and tools on campus to reduce chances of exposure to any harmful bacteria or virus. We are temporarily suspending the following programs: 3/14: Jr Vet Lab 11am, 1pm, 2pm; Fish Feeding: 3pm; 3/15: Jr Sea Turtle Rescuers 9am; Pier History Talk 10am; Turtle Talk 10:30am; 3/17: Seasonal Day Camp; and 3/23 – 3/27: Spring Break Camp. *These cancellations are currently only through the weekend of March 14 to 15.
- We are implementing increased safety measures for programs not suspended: As of 3/13, LMC has not suspended certain programs due to the small group setting of less than 25 guests and outdoor setting. As a precaution, LMC plans to integrate best health practices in social distancing into occurring programming. Programs not suspended include: 3/14 and 3/15 Public Guided Tours, 3/14 Kid’s Fishing Program on the Juno Beach Pier, and 3/14 Glades Lake to Ocean Day at Coral Cove Park
- We are closing our exhibit hall, to increase social distancing and reduce our guests interaction with our tactile exhibits. While our indoor exhibit hall and programming will temporarily be suspended, our outdoor sea turtle hospital and Public Guided Tours will remain open to guests.
- Events with large numbers of attendees are postponed. Due to increased health safety measures, LMC has decided to postpone all large scale events, including its monthly beach cleanup on Saturday, March 14. While this event will be rescheduled at a later, appropriate date, the Center encourages supporters to conduct a personal environmental cleanup near their areas of living or in their local communities. LMC encourages supporters who participate in a personal cleanup to post a photo of their conservation efforts and tag LMC on social media.
The health and safety of our visitors, staff, volunteers and sea turtle patients is our top priority. We will continue to stay in close touch with our local, State, and Federal officials and continue to closely monitor the current situation with Coronavirus COVID-19. Our Center will provide updates as needed through email, blog, website, and social media updates.. For more information regarding COVID-19, please refer to the CDC.
Our staff, volunteers, Board of Directors, and donors are humbled to have the support of our community and thank our guests for their flexibility during these unique circumstances.
The Loggerhead Marinelife Center Team